Got a hint of manual Android 2.2 update from http://www.androidos.in/2010/05/update-nexus-one-to-android-2-2-froyo-now-manually.html and quickly headed over to check it out. The instructions were a little lacking so I’ve done the detailed steps.
0. Check your Nexus One ROM version (Menu > Setting > About Phone). Seems to work for ERE27 only.
1. Download the file from the link above.
2. Rename the file to “update.zip”
3. Connect the Nexus One, and mount the SD card.
4. Copy “update.zip” to the root of your SD card.
5. Power off the phone.
6. Press Vol Down + Power to custom boot the phone, as follows.
7. Use the Volume keys to select “RECOVERY” then Power to select. Wait for the “!” screen to load.
8. Press Power + Vol Up to load the recovery selection screen.
9. Use the Volume button/Trackball to select “apply sdcard:update.zip”, then click the TRACKBALL to select. Installation starts.
10. Phone restarts, then prepares to boot Android 2.2.
11. First look at Android 2.2!
- Wireless profile is remembered, connected to Wi-Fi.
- 3G Works.
- SIP is still up.
- New “Phone, App, Browser” shortcut at bottom of screen. I like!
- Seems snappy. I like!
- Smooth Calendar seems to be broken. 😦
12. And checking the settings… we have Android 2.2 Froyo!
We have Auto Updating
We have FLASH! Beat that, iPhone!
And I head out for lunch… and get back to studying for my test!